Four members of a family of nine including a mother and her three
children reportedly died after eating yam flour for lunch in
Isua-Akoko area of Ondo state.
The father of the family Mr Abiloye Folorunso and other children
survived, however, as the poison was flushed out of their systems once
they got to the hospital.
Reports have it that the yam flour was purchased from Isua Market that
morning and prepared it for lunch.
Information Officer of Akoko South East Local Government, Mr. Akin
Meroyi said the incident occurred at Ward 7 in the town.
Also speaking on the incident, another family member, Hon. Adesina
Ayodeji noted that the flour was bought from Isua Market by the
deceased mother on that same day the incident occurred.
Ayodeji told newsmen that shortly after taking the yam flour, all the
nine members who ate of it became unconscious and were immediately
rushed to the Local Government Health Centre by neighbours where first
aid was administered to them.
In the process of reviving them, one of the family members reportedly
died at the Health Centre.
Disturbed by the situation as they could not be revived, they were
taken to the State Specialist Hospital, Ikare-Akoko.
Some of the family members still unconscious were hurriedly taken to
a private hospital in Ikare Akoko where another member died again.
With the situation worsening, the neighbours took some of the
unconscious members to the Federal Medical Centre, Owo where they
were diagnosed to have eaten poison.
Reacting to the development in his council area, the Chairman of Akoko
South East Local Government, Hon Olusola Agbi who condoled the
family described the incident as unfortunate and sad.
The five other family members were admitted at the specialist hospital
in Ikare-Akoko where they were revived.